Sunday, August 5, 2007

Racism continues to rear its ugly head


Tonight I set out walking to Downtown Music Gallery to see my friend Dave Ross perform.

On the corner of East 6th & Ave. A an older black couple, in their 70s, caught my eye and attention.

The man's shirt was very colorful and they were impeccably dressed for a causal night on the town.

We exchanged smiles and a few words when the man said he was thinkin' of asking me to get them a cab.

Ten had passed them by.

I asked if it was because they were black and they said yes.

Even at their age? Yes.

I was a bit taken aback.

I hailed them the next cab, opened the door for their entry and exchanged good wishes and god speed.

We had a good time. Makin' fun and enjoying each other's company.

I felt sad to realize the hurtful truth of what had just occurred. The humiliating and frustrating daily reality that they had to deal with.

wb ...

No comments: